Friday, June 6, 2014

Taper is good, but what is right?


@SkratchLabs @BikeDrWaldorf


Big thanks to both of these for hydration and bike fits.  Without either, I'd be screwed. </plug>

I've recently completed 2 super sprint distance races.  I took 2 different approaches to taper prior to each.

For the May 4th East Coast Super Sprint (400m swim, 10k bike, 2.5k run) I did the following:
  1. No road biking for 12 days prior to event and that was only commuting
  2. 2 whole rest days immediately prior to event
  3. Mostly easy runs and swims week of
  4. Total of 2 hours of training during taper week
Times for my race were moderate:  1:30/100yds on the swim (wetsuit & open water swim), 22mph on the bike, 7:10/mi pace on the run.

For the May 24th & 25th Rev3 Rush (250m swim, 5mile bike, 1.5 mile run) I did the following:

  1. No road biking for 6 days prior to event those 2 days back to back
  2. 1 rest day prior to event
  3. Moderate runs and swims week of
  4. Total of 2 hours of training during taper week
Times for my race were moderate:  1:30/100yds on the swim (no wetsuit and pool swim), 24mph on the bike, 6:10/mi pace on the run.

There's difference in both the taper week and the results.  My Rev3 Rush race was faster and I placed better than the East Coast Super Sprint.  The amount and intensity of the biking was closer to the event and harder.  This was more noticeable for me that I was able to push harder on the bike in the Rev3Rush. I felt fresher and held more power than the previous race.  The run too was a noticeable difference.  I was able to push harder even though I had harder workouts during taper.

Remember, see what works for you and how your body responds to different activities.  Mine needs good quality rest, but not long of a rest.  Easier days don't do me more good than moderate days.


No comments:

Post a Comment